World Photography Festival, London, 26 April – 1 May 2011 / Exhibitions, 26 April – 22 May 2011
· Exhibition tickets priced at £10 and festival tickets starting at £14 available from www.worldphoto.org
· Bruce Davidson exhibition is free
London’s biggest ever festival of photography opens at Somerset House on 26 April. Following stops in San Francisco, Sao Paulo and Shanghai, the World Photography Festival comes to London for the first time and will run until 1 May. The Sony World Photography Awards Winners’ Showcase and Bruce Davidson exhibitions will be on display until 22 May. A private press preview of these exhibitions will take place on Tuesday 26 April at 12noon.
The inspiring and eclectic six day programme of events will celebrate the very best in photography from around the world and will appeal to everyone with a passion for photography from professionals to the photo-loving public alike.
The festival will feature celebrated photographers such as Tom Stoddard, Carol Allen Storey and Bruce Davidson as well as Pulitzer prize winning photographer Liu Hueng Shing and industry leaders such as Elisabeth Biondi (Visuals Editor, New Yorker) and Mike Trow (Photo Editor, British Vogue) – all of whom will gather at the festival to host exhibitions, talks, screenings, portfolio reviews, workshops and more.
At the heart of the festival is The Sony World Photography Awards 2011 which is also taking place in London for the first time. Formerly held in Cannes at the prestigious Palais des Festivals, the 2011 Awards winners will be announced at Odeon Leicester Square, 27 April 2011. A limited number of tickets to the awards ceremony are available from www.worldphoto.org
Sony will be running exclusive hands-on photography and videography product workshop sessions at Somerset House hosted by professional photographers from the world of fashion, sport and nature, demonstrating techniques to harness and improve your photography skills. Details of the workshops and registration can be found at www.worldphoto.org/festivals-events/london-daily-schedule
The full programme for the week long World Photography Festival may be viewed at www.worldphoto.org
- In the Photographer’s Studio – Five intimate conversations with some of the greatest living photographers including Tom Stoddart, Steve Pyke, Carol Allen Storey and Bruce Davidson
- World Photography Seminar Series – Presentations, round table discussions and talks about all areas of the industry such as: Photojournalism, The London Photography Scene, The Future of Book Publishing, The Power of New Media, Marketing & Commercialising, The Business of Photography, Art Photography Now and Stock Photography
- Four day London Portrait & Documentary Project, part of the World Photography Organisation’s The City Project and which has recently taken place in Sao Paulo
- Coming to London for the first time, iStockphoto present a series of seminars and live photoshoots for anyone interested in photography concepts
- Introduction to Self-Publishing on Blurb with an easy overview of book making tools and tips on how to market and sell your book
- The Portfolio Reviews
- Student Focus – 101: The Crash Course – Provides students with a valuable insight into the industry
- Special Programming – The 2011 World Market Spotlight: India with award winning Indian photojournalist and educator Pablo Bartholomew
Exhibitions running until 22 May
- The Sony World Photography Awards 2011 Winners’ Showcase
- Bruce Davidson exhibition
- The Student Focus Award Winners
- Kraszna-Krausz Book Awards Exhibition
- London Portrait & Documentary Project Exhibition
Somerset House is a spectacular neo-classical building in the heart of London, sitting between the Strand and the River Thames. Since opening to the public in 2000, Somerset House has produced a distinctive public programme that annually draws over 1.2 million visitors to the site, providing a stimulating environment for exploration and relaxation. The varied, year-round programme includes an open air film and concert season and ice rink, as well as temporary exhibitions focusing on contemporary fashion, architecture, art and design, family workshops and free guided tours. In September 2009, Somerset House became the new home of London Fashion Week.
26 April – 1 May World Photography Festival, Somerset House
26 April – 22 May World Photography Festival exhibitions, Somerset House
26 April 12 noon - Press preview of Sony World Photography Awards Winners’ Showcase and Bruce Davidson exhibition
27 April Sony World Photography Awards ceremony, Odeon Leicester Square, London. Announcement of L’Iris D’Or / Sony World Photography Awards Photographer of the Year, plus Student Focus, Professional category winners and Open Photographer of the Year
For further information or festival accreditation please contact:
Jill Cotton / Rachel Duffield at Colman Getty
Tel: + 44 (0) 20 7631 2666 / + 44 (0) 7838 144992
email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Offering an integrated entertainment experience through its electronics, mobile, music, pictures, game and the Sony Entertainment Network, Sony is uniquely positioned to be one of the world's leading consumer brands. Sony is renowned for its audio-visual products in both the consumer and professional markets, such as the 4K Ultra HD and Full HD LED BRAVIA™ TV, Cyber-shot™ digital camera, Handycam® camcorder, “α” (pronounced Alpha) digital SLR camera, Xperia™ Tablet and Walkman® MP3 player as well as its VAIO™ personal computers and 3D HD professional broadcast equipment.
For more information on Sony Europe, please visit the About Us page. For more information on Sony Corporation please visit www.sony.net
“Sony”, “WALKMAN”, “VAIO”, “Cyber-shot”, “Handycam”, “α”, “BRAVIA” and “Xperia” are registered trademarks or trademarks of Sony Corporation. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.