8 million self-illuminating pixels of OLED panel combined with revolutionary motion and sound technologies for top-class viewing experience.
Sony has announced the retail availability of its newest A8 4K HDR OLED televisions in Europe. Boasting an array of Sony’s cutting-edge innovations in the fields of picture processing and sound, the A8 delivers the acclaimed quality of the Japanese manufacturer.
Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate is at the heart of the A8’s prowess – it precisely analyses image data to bring out the intense contrast of OLED with pure blacks, peak brightness and truly realistic pictures. The TV also features Pixel Contrast Booster, which enhances colour and contrast in bright areas so you can enjoy scenes full of lifelike shades and hues, more depth, fine texture and the pure black contrast that only OLED can deliver. Also, for the first time ever in an OLED TV, the A8 incorporates Sony’s own X-Motion Clarity™ technology, ensuring that even fast action stays smooth and clear. Moving images are precisely controlled to minimise blur so that pictures remain true with less loss in brightness during high speed scenes.
The A8 TVs continue Sony’s legacy of delivering a truly immersive audio-visual experience with the use of Acoustic Surface Audio, which turns the TV screen into a speaker. An innovative actuator behind the screen vibrates discreetly to create sound so what you hear comes from the place in the scene where the action is happening – dialogue from characters, engine noise from a car. This ties-in with Sony’s super-slim one slate design where screen meets the edge of the TV, immersing you in the picture without distraction. For extra punch, two subwoofers are subtly integrated into the rear of the TV to create more dynamic, bass-heavy sound – ideal for action movies and music.
The new A8 TVs continue to deliver the creator’s intent with Netflix Calibrated Mode. This mode was specially developed to enjoy Netflix originals and reproduce the same picture quality on a TV as on a studio evaluation master. With Netflix Calibrated Mode, the creator's vision and intent is faithfully preserved. Further, the A8 is an IMAX® Enhanced™ product, ready to meet high-quality colour, contrast, clarity and sound, allowing to enjoy a fully immersive at-home entertainment experience that takes full advantage of IMAX Enhanced content.
Sony’s A8 4K HDR OLED TVs feature Ambient Optimization, a new technology that optimises picture and sound quality in any customer environment. It will automatically adjust the picture brightness to the ambient light in the room, boosting the brightness in bright rooms and reducing in dark rooms for the perfect view. It even detects objects in the room, such as curtains and furniture that can absorb or reflect sound, fine-tuning the acoustics so your sound isn’t compromised.
The A8 line-up features Android TV™ with the Google Assistant, Google Play Store and Chromecast built-in, which offers users easy access to content, services and devices via its extensive platform. Sony’s original user interface menus and voice controls are also enhanced for better daily use. With the Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa enabled devices, you may cast and control videos from YouTube with Google Home or change the channel or volume with Amazon Alexa enabled devices. Apple® AirPlay® 2 users can stream movies, music, games and photos to their television right from their iPhone®, iPad® or Mac®. The Apple HomeKit™ technology provides an easy, secure way for users to control their television from their iPhone®, iPad® or Mac®.
Pricing and availability
The A8 4K HDR OLED TVs are available now. For price information, please check your local Sony site at www.sony.eu.
Sony A8 4K OLED TV: Key features
Screen sizes: 65” and 55”
- Features Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate, providing the ultimate 4K HDR viewing experience with the following technologies: Object-based Super Resolution, Object-based HDR remaster, Super Bit Mapping™ 4K HDR and Dual database processing
- Features Pixel Contrast Booster, eight million self-illuminating pixels and Sony-original panel controller for OLED that brings a significantly enriched visual experience with unprecedented black, authentic colour and a wide viewing angle
- X-Motion Clarity for OLED: This revolutionary, highly-acclaimed best-in-class technology from Sony will now be available for OLED, refining action on the screen in real time to make it brighter, clearer and more fluid than ever before for an unparalleled sports viewing experience
- Two subwoofers improve and enhance Acoustic Surface Audio™
- Dolby Vision™ and Dolby Atmos™ compatible
- New Ambient Optimization optimises picture and sound quality in any customer environment. It will automatically adjust the picture brightness to the ambient light in the room, boosting the brightness in bright rooms and reducing in dark rooms for the perfect view
- TRILUMINOS™ Display reproduces the subtle nuances of colour, light and gradation from video lens to living room
- Works with Smart Speakers, including Google Home and Amazon Alexa enabled devices
- Easy connectivity to most devices, including Apple® AirPlay® 2, HomeKit™
- Quick access to an array of content and services with Android TV
- Netflix Calibrated Mode ensures cinematic fidelity for the viewing experience on Netflix. Developed by Sony picture quality engineers in collaboration with Netflix colour scientists, Netflix Calibrated Mode delivers picture quality approaching that of a master monitor used for standard reference in motion picture production studios.
- An IMAX® Enhanced™ product, ready to meet high-quality colour, contrast, clarity and sound. Take comfort in knowing you'll be enjoying a fully immersive at-home entertainment experience on this TV that takes full advantage of IMAX Enhanced content.
- Custom Mode, along with Sony's other calibrated viewing modes, provides various viewing options to suit customers’ tastes while faithfully preserving the creator’s intent
 Feature availability depends on country and availability of compatible products.
 Google Home device (sold separately) compatible with Sony Android TV devices. Requires compatible devices connected to the same wireless home network. Download the Google Home app from the iPhone App Store or Google Play. Subject to third party app terms and conditions. User must link compatible devices in order to control operation. Once download is complete, the Google Home feature may be connected to the Sony device to access the voice control function.
 Amazon Alexa enabled devices (sold separately) compatible with Sony Android TV devices. Amazon account required. Subscriptions may be required to access certain content. Sony TV and Alexa devices both require internet connection. Amazon, Echo, Alexa, and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
 Apple® AirPlay® 2 and HomeKit™ features will be available on FY19 models ZF9, AF9, ZG9, AG9, XG95 and XG85 (85”, 75”, 65” and 55”) and FY20 models ZH8, A9, A8, XH95, XH90, XH85, XH81 and XH80. AirPlay 2 and HomeKit features require an iOS device running iOS 12.3 or later or a Mac running macOS 10.14.5. Apple, AirPlay, HomeKit, iPhone, iPad, Mac, and macOS are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Firmware update is required via network.
About Sony Corporation
Sony Corporation is a creative entertainment company with a solid foundation of technology. From game and network services to music, pictures, electronics, semiconductors and financial services - Sony's purpose is to fill the world with emotion through the power of creativity and technology. For more information, visit: http://www.sony.net/