- Premium design and advanced features for discerning business users
- Miniaturisation technology including 12 layer motherboard
- True 16:9 wide screen X-black LCD display with enhanced durability and 100% colour fidelity
- Stamina Mode and LED display for extended battery life
- Light but very durable advanced carbon fibre construction
- Ultra-fast fully integrated 7.2Mbps 3G WWAN mobile broadband
Berlin, 15 July 2008 - The VAIO Z-Series offers executives and professionals the ultimate in uncompromised mobility. The design was evolved directly from user experience, ensuring rigorous practicality behind the matchless visual appeal. Sony’s engineering and craftsmanship deliver superlative functionality from a remarkably portable platform based on a uniquely compact 12 layer motherboard. The provision of VAIO “everywair” WWAN technology1 on selected models means that ultra-fast mobile broadband speeds of up to 7.2Mbps are possible using HSDPA mobile data networks. So on the move, there really is no compromise.
“This is the culmination of ten years of VAIO innovation,” said Hidetoshi Takigawa, Marketing Director for VAIO of Europe. ““Incorporating feedback from our discerning and highly demanding customers, the VAIO Z embodies everything the brand stands for – cutting edge excellence in technology, exceptional ergonomincs and bold, iconic design. This is a notebook everyone would be proud to own.”
Every aspect of the physical design of the VAIO Z has been refined to a perfect blend of form and function. Internally, the unique, custom-designed 12 layer motherboard means a smaller footprint, still further reduced by additional component miniaturisation. The case is constructed from advanced carbon fibre materials typically associated with the world of F1 racing and the aerospace industry. This means tremendous strength yet remarkable portability: the VAIO Z weighs less than 1.5kg but is tested to withstand a drop of up to 72cm while operational and up to 90cm when powered down.
The keyboard looks outstanding thanks to a single, beautifully brush-finished aluminium panel through which the keys rise, and which also forms the palm rest. The precision engineered ‘isolation’ key spacing and delicately concave key surfaces mean typing is fast, accurate and comfortable. A positive but silent action places the final seal of quality on this vital aspect of the notebook.
The unique look of the VAIO Z owes much to the cylindrical hinge between the body and the screen. This provides an ergonomic and secure grip for carrying, while internally it serves as the holding space for the battery. With impeccable design logic, the end caps house the power cable input and power button respectively. The button itself glows elegantly in emerald green when the system is active and pulses gently orange when in standby, artfully complementing the overall styling.
The range features an advanced display that combines LED illumination for extended battery life with a true 16:9 wide screen format that eliminates the letterbox effect when viewing wide screen movies. The screen has a super-slim bezel so it delivers a generous 13.1-inch viewable diagonal and lots of workspace thanks to its native WXGA++ (1600 x 900) resolution2.
Sony’s X-black LCD display enhancement technology boosts brightness and contrast and ensures vivid colours, and the panel delivers 100% colour fidelity – equivalent to 100% of the NTSC format colour space – so colours really are true to life. Even the surface finish has been improved to better resist scratching and reduce reflection, ensuring durability and maximum viewing comfort.
In order to boost battery life as much as possible, the VAIO Z has a special Stamina Mode switch which allows the user to select between two graphics chipsets. You can choose between lightning fast 3D performance delivered by the NVIDIA® GeForce® 9300M GS GPU or high stamina using integrated Intel® graphics. When performance graphics are not required, extended battery life of over 5 hours is possible. This can be all done while the machine is turned on.
General performance is assured thanks to the combination of potent Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processors and the new Intel® Centrino® 2 platform. This boosts everything from multitasking and memory speed to battery life, and assures extremely reliable wireless networking.
To ensure really seamless wireless operation, VAIO Smart Network technology allows you to switch between WWAN (3G) networks and WLAN wireless hot spots (802.11 a/b/g/Draft n) – without turning the computer off.
A special model, designated VGN-Z11VN/X, will be available exclusively online from the Sony Style Store. To find out more about this and many other Sony Style Store exclusives, please go to the website at www.sonystyle-europe.com.
1 Available on models VGN-Z11VN/B; VGN-Z11WN/B. VAIO “everywair” refers to 7.2Mbps or faster HSDPA Wireless WAN technology implemented on VAIO notebooks. The “everywair” logo is designed for customer recognition and simplicity. It does not denote a specific VAIO-developed technology.
2 Available on models VGN-Z11VN/B; VGN-Z11WN/B; VGN-Z11XN/B
- VAIO Z11-Series models are ENERGY STAR® qualified.
- VAIO Z11-Series models feature a Stamina Mode switch to conserve battery power.
- VAIO Z11-Series models have an LCD with white LED backlight.
- All cover/housing plastic parts >25g are halogen-free.
- The main printed circuit boards (without components) >25g are halogen-free.
- Plastic parts >100g are made of one single material or of easily separable materials.
- Recycled paper or certified paper (eg FSC) is used for product packaging.
- Recycled paper is used for printed documentation.
- For the VAIO Z11-Series, Volatile Organic Compound-free vegetable oil based ink is used for printing the packaging.
- Extended user documentation is provided electronically on the hard disk drive to
Sony is determined to lead the way as a responsible manufacturer, and as a result we are focussing on three key areas of investment:
- Reducing CO2 gas emissions
- Increasing the percentage of renewable energy used in manufacturing facilities
- Minimising the resources used by our factories in manufacturing